Sponsorship Comments

 


 

The Submarine Association of Canada are pleased to sponsor the "A" class submarine painting as these were the submarines in the mid fifties to form the Sixth Submarine Squadron in Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada. HMS/M Ambush, and HMS/M Alderney were just two of the many "A" class Royal Navy submarines to be part of the Canadian Squadron.

In 1954 the first draft of Canadians were sent to England for submarine training, on completion of training they were sent to sea on Royal Navy submarines, many of them in the Sixth Submarine Squadron. The Royal Navy remained in Canada until HMCS Ojibwa, the first Canadian submarine, arrived in Halifax to form the First Canadian Submarine Squadron, later to be joined by HMCS Onondaga and HMCS Okanagan.

The city of Halifax is well known to sailors especially submariners from around the world and the city was sorry to see the Squadron return to England. However, the "A" class submariners are well remembered when they were a familiar part of the Halifax waterfront under the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge.

 

Technical Data


 

 

Builder:

Vickers Armstrong Limited - Barrow-in-Furness.

Yard Number:

910

Pennant number:

P418

Laid down:

17.05.1945

Launched:

24.09.1945

Completed:

22.07.1947

Dimensions
(in feet):

Length: 281.5 feet, Breadth: 22.25 feet, Draught: 17 feet.

Displacement:

Surfaced 530 tons, Dived 730 tons.

Propulsion:

Surface: twin eight cylinder supercharged Vickers diesel engines driving twin shafts. 4,300 shp. Submerged: Twin electric motors = 1,250 bhp.

Speed:

Surface: 18 knots, Submerged: 8 knots

Fuel:

300 tons.

Endurance:

10,500 nautical miles at 11 knots.

Armaments:

10 x 21 inch torpedo tubes ( bow: 4 x internal, 2 x external). (stern: 2 x internal, 2 x external). 1 x four inch gun, 1 x 20 mm Oerlikan AA, 3 x Machine Guns, or 26 mines in lieu of torpedoes.

Complement:

60 officers and ratings.

 

 

Historical Data


 

 

 

 

 

"A" Class Submarines

A class of 46 boats, of which 28 were cancelled at the end of WWII in August 1945. Designed for operations against the Japanese in the Far East, the "A" class was the only new submarine designed during WWII.

The first of class Anchorite - later renamed Amphion was laid down on November the 14th 1943. A much improved design over previous classes, the greatest advance being the fact that they had completely welded pressure hulls. This allowed the shipbuilder to set up a production line for the hulls, increased hull strength allowing the boats to dive almost twice the depth of previous classes.

Forty-six boats were ordered in 1943, but only two, Amphion and Astute, were completed before hostilities ended in August 1945, consequently, no "A" boat fired a shot in anger. Several of the class served post-war in the 6th Submarine Squadron based in Halifax Nova Scotia. Alcide, Alderney, Ambush, Astute, Auriga and Aurochs.

 

HMS/M Ambush


 

 

12th February 1948 left the Clyde to carry out prolonged Short Cruise between Jan Mayern Island and Bear Island, returning on March 18th.

The object was to gain information on physiological problems associated with prolonged snorting; and to deduce suitable economical speeds/fuel consumption.1957.

Streamlined and "Guppified" at H.M. Dockyard Chatham. July 1977, Scrapped at T.W.Ward Limited Inverkeithing Scotland.

 

 

 

 

 

Other pictures and more information on sponsoring pictures for your own organization can be done through the following site:  http://www.submarineheritage.com